Navigation
Cemetery Roster
Town Clerks List
Add A Cemetery!
Master List
John M. Weeks Excerpt
"History of Salisbury"
Photo Gallery
..........................................
h

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

h

Salisbury, Vermont Cemeteries

 

The West Salisbury Cemetery is located three miles west of Salisbury Village. At its intersection with Route 7 travel west on the West Salisbury Road for 2.7 miles to its intersection with Leland Road and Shard Villa Road. The Cemetery is located on the west side of Leland Road at the intersection. 

An alternate route to the West Salisbury Cemetery is to take the Three Mile Bridge Road at its intersection with Route 7 just south of East Middlebury. At the one-mile mark the Three Mile Bridge Road merges with the Shard Villa Road on a wide corner that heads south. Total miles from Route 7 to the Cemetery are 4.3 miles.

John Weeks in his “History of Salisbury” published in 1860 indicates that several of Salisbury’s earliest settlers were buried on private grounds during the 1790’s including approximately 30 in an unmarked cemetery. 

 
Two known burials on private grounds are Nabby Cooper and Henry Rice. Cooper died in 1796 and is buried approximately 80 yards Southwest of the Holman Cemetery near the power-line. A path leads to her gravesite through the woods. Rice, a Civil War veteran – Vermont 14th – Company E, is buried on the west side of the Lower Plains Road just south of the Salisbury-Middlebury town lines.